Saturday, 14 March 2009

Thrills, Spills, and Falafal Grills

Life goals are dangerous beasts to tame. Some of my own are admittedly quite lofty, such as learning the entire dance sequence from Michael Jackson's 1988 hit single 'Beat It'.

Michael Jackson - Beating It
3:50 is the money.
According to the 'king of pop', it "doesn't matter who's wrong or right", which seems to be a rather anarchic swipe - if not outright infringement - towards the rule of law.


Other goals, such as hurling myself and some flimsy piece of metal across continental Europe, seem to more tangible and within reach. Though, this is largely due to the fact I am unable to organise 30+ costumed gang members in an abandoned warehouse, and Eddie Van Halen was unavailable at such short notice. But no matter, I'll be damned if I let common sense, rationality, or a rapidly declining bank balance stop me. And while the 'shitstorm in a teacup' rages on back home, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my touring bike - though a recent 'accident' have made me wonder if it is such a good idea…

A large student population, bicycles, and high-volume alcohol consumption does not require econometrics to discover the result.
Since being in Lund, I have heard some amazing tales of bicycle mishaps. Some are quite funny, many painful, and most involve someone's face and an impromptu meeting with pavement. Even with so many stories the same structure can be applied, as indicated below:

I was riding home from/to 'X', and then I got hit by 'Y', and now I have a 'Z'! I wasn't that drunk… I swear!

Where:
X = Bar / Corridor Party / The System
Y = Parked Car / Stationary Metal-Based Object / Pavement
Z = Great Story To Tell / Broken Arm / Life-Threatening Blood Loss

I'm happy to report that I now count myself amongst the privileged many who have fallen victim to the bike/pavement experience. Thankfully, mine didn't involve too much blood loss, although some guy did see the entire event unfold. Thus, leaving me with just that little bit less dignity, and him with some unexpected afternoon entertainment.

Highlights include: The part of me speeding down the hill, the wind in my hair, the amazing ability of riding no-hands, the bit where my bike seat came loose, the glory of the handlebars turning 180 degrees, and my Carl-Lewis record breaking attempt through the air and slapping the pavement and rolling shoeless across the road…

Injuries Include: Right-knee tissue damage with open wound, upper-right-shoulder general pain, medium-low intensity persistent headache, torn right leg of jeans, minor cosmetic damage to moderately-worn imported dunlop volleys, slight loss of dignity…

In other less eventful, but by no means less tasty news. I made some high-value falafal kebabs. James 'Backhand-Complement' Waldie gave yet another somewhat glowing review:
"It's pretty good actually, for a vegetarian, considering there is no actual meat."

No comments:

Post a Comment